The US is calling on Israel to reconsider its use of force after the killing of a three-year-old Palestinian boy
The United States today called on Israel to investigate the use of force during military operations against civilians, a day after the killing of a three-year-old Palestinian boy.
The boy was mistakenly shot dead by Israeli soldiers last week in an exchange of fire in the occupied West Bank, Israeli media reported.
"We express our condolences to the family of Muhammad Tamimi. We call on Israel to investigate all uses of lethal force involving civilian casualties and call on the Israeli and Palestinian leadership to take responsible action to end the conflict," the US Office of Palestinian Affairs said.
Last Thursday, Muhammad Tamimi and his father Haitham were hit by bullets when Israeli soldiers returned fire aimed at Palestinians who were shooting at them in the Jewish neighborhood of Neve Tzuf.
The Israeli military said the killing was an accident and was under investigation.
State Department spokesman Vedant Patel said Tuesday that the military is aware of the investigation and that the United States "calls for an investigation into any operation that results in civilian casualties."
Nearly 120 Palestinians have been killed in the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem this year, and nearly half of those killed were members of extremist organizations.