Electricity provided by the sun for another 30.000 families: The solar power plant in Novaci, the largest in the Balkans, was commissioned
By the end of the year, about one third of households will be covered by electricity from domestic photovoltaic power plants
Today, the largest photovoltaic power plant in Europe, FEC "Novaci", was put into operation in Novaci. It has a total capacity of 55 megawatts and is designed to produce 85.000 megawatt-hours annually, which is enough electricity to meet the needs of 30.000 families. The investor is "May Energy", whose activity is the production and sale of electricity from renewable sources, and the value of the investment is 40 million euros.
Prime Minister Dimitar Kovacevski said that it is not by chance that we are called the country of the sun and that this plant will be used to the maximum.
- I am convinced that this plant will provide 20 to 30 percent more electricity than 85.000 megawatt-hours because our solar insolation is the best in the world - Kovacevski said.
He said that despite this, in the past we did not use the sun to produce electricity, so until 2016 there were only 16 megawatts of renewable energy installed.
- From the first day of the Government that I lead, from January 2022 until today, 600 licenses have been issued for power plants of renewable energy sources, so that today we have 450 megawatts of renewable energy sources on the network, and by the end of the year we will have 600 megawatts of renewable energy sources, which is more than what REK Bitola produces. There are no investments without economic and political security. The entry into NATO confirms that all investments are growing, especially in energy - Kovacevski said.
He also reminded that after 30 years, an investor has been chosen for the Chebren pumping-accumulation plant and it will be the largest in the region with one of the largest dams in the world of 192 meters, which will be built in the next 7 years.
Minister Kreshnik Bekteshi proudly showed the t-shirt he received as a gift before leaving for Novaci, which shows the sun, wind and water.
- Today we are proudly talking about an installed capacity of 393 megawatts only from photovoltaics that annually produce over 610 gigawatt-hours, which is enough to cover the needs of 190.000 families. Currently, there are licenses issued by the Regulatory Commission, so that by the end of the year, they will contribute to the installed capacity exceeding 550 megawatts only in the part of photovoltaic power plants. This cover will cover more than 270.000 families. If we keep in mind that 700.000 families are connected to the distribution network, this means that in just two years, we cover the needs of more than 30 percent of all our households with solar energy - said Bekteshi.
He also pointed out that the implementation of the regulations for the introduction of batteries is nearing completion, with which he assesses that our country will be a leader in the region in the area of electricity supply from renewable sources.
- Most were skeptical when we adopted the strategy until 2040, according to which photovoltaic power plants with a total capacity of no more than 1.500 megawatts should be built. By the end of the year, we will exceed 50 percent within just two years - said Bekteshi.
The construction works of FEC Novaci started in November last year, the execution was completely carried out by Macedonian companies under the supervision of consulting firms and experts, who have been engaged in this activity for more than 2 years.
- I want to unabashedly confirm that we are already leaders in the region after the application of the most modern environmental standards, norms and projects for the production of energy from renewable sources - said the Minister of Transport and Communications Blagoj Bochvarski.
Shevket Demirovski, general investor of May Energy, thanked the employees for realizing this project.
- Through the realization of this project and an investment of 40 million euros, we are creating certainty for other domestic and foreign investors to recognize the possibility of investing in the energy sector, which contributes to economic development. This project will contribute to an ecologically healthier environment and an economically better society - said Demirovski.
The operational period of the photovoltaic plant is 25 years.