The International Court of Justice in The Hague ordered Israel to immediately end the war in Rafah

Photo: EPA-EFE / ROBIN UTRECHT

The highest court of the UN today ordered Israel to immediately stop the military attack in the city of Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) stated in its decision that it is "not convinced" that the evacuation of Rafah and other Israeli measures are sufficient to reduce the suffering of Palestinians, the agencies reported.

Reading the decision on the new temporary measures established by the ICC, the president of the court, Nawaf Salam, said that the temporary measures ordered by the court in March did not produce results on the situation in Gaza and that the conditions for a new emergency measure had been obtained.

- Israel must immediately stop the military offensive in Rafah - said Salam.

A court has upheld South Africa's request for Israel to halt its offensive in Rafah for a week after Pretoria requested it in a case accusing Israel of genocide in the Gaza Strip.

Just this week, three European countries announced they would recognize a Palestinian state, and the chief prosecutor of another UN court sought arrest warrants for Israeli leaders and Hamas officials.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is also under pressure at home to end the war sparked by an attack by Palestinian militants from Gaza into southern Israel that has killed around 1.200 people, mostly civilians, and taken more than 250, according to the news agencies. hostages. More than 35.800 Palestinians have died in Israel's retaliatory military campaign in Gaza.

Thousands of Israelis demonstrate calling on the government to reach a deal to free the hostages.

Israel has also announced that it will reject the ICC's order to cease operations.

- There is no force in the world that will prevent Israel from protecting its citizens and prosecuting Hamas in Gaza - said Israeli government spokesman Avi Haiman.

Israeli leaders have repeatedly dismissed the accusations of genocide as baseless and maintain that the operations in Gaza are self-defense and that Hamas extremists launched the October 7 attack.

 

Dear reader,

Our access to web content is free, because we believe in equality in information, regardless of whether someone can pay or not. Therefore, in order to continue our work, we ask for the support of our community of readers by financially supporting the Free Press. Become a member of Sloboden Pechat to help the facilities that will enable us to deliver long-term and quality information and TOGETHER let's ensure a free and independent voice that will ALWAYS BE ON THE PEOPLE'S SIDE.

SUPPORT A FREE PRESS.
WITH AN INITIAL AMOUNT OF 60 DENARS

Video of the day