The City of Skopje is the first in the region with a Strategic Plan for disaster risk reduction
Today, Skopje Mayor Petre Shilegov presented and participated in the public discussion on the Strategic Plan for Disaster Risk Reduction of the City of Skopje, which he said was a comprehensive and inclusive plan for strengthening resistance to crises and accidents, but also rapid community recovery. after a possible natural disaster.
- The Strategic Plan for Disaster Risk Reduction of the City of Skopje is a comprehensive and inclusive plan for strengthening the resistance to crises and disasters by fulfilling its main goal: By 2025, the capital to be resistant to chronic stress and acute shocks with appropriate, locally managed and sustainable capacities for risk prevention and mitigation, disaster preparedness and response, and crisis management, said Shilegov.
The plan provides a strategic framework for developing an approach to disaster risk reduction at the local level, as well as for undertaking a series of measures and activities that are realistic, practical and applicable.
- These measures and activities will provide further strengthening of the resistance of the local self-government units and the citizens in order to build long-term resistance to the existing and new risks and dangers on their territory. This strategic plan is a result of the conducted analysis and assessment of available data and information, profiled hazards and risks, organizing the functioning of entities at local and regional level, consultant research, conducting virtual consultations with stakeholders, as well as embedding their perceptions. for the current situation, priority areas, needs and expectations, pointed out Shilegov.
He emphasized that the structure of the strategic plan is based on three strategic priorities and eight goals that cover the various aspects of disaster risk reduction that are present in the municipality.
- Each goal has a number of measures and activities that are planned for implementation by 2025, said the mayor of Skopje.
The strategic priorities are identified areas whose set goals will be achieved through the implementation of the envisaged measures and activities and will contribute to strengthening the resilience of the City of Skopje.
- The strategic priorities are realistic, achievable and contribute to achieving the main vision of this plan: The City of Skopje is a smart and green city, with developed infrastructure and sustainable mobility, adapted to climate change and which ensures sustainable development and well-being of its citizens by successfully managing the challenges of disaster resilience. Priorities are based on measures and activities that are realistic and pragmatic and can be implemented on the basis of available funds and resources, in partnership with other municipalities, entities, state institutions, cross-border and international cooperation, Shilegov said at the presentation of the Strategic Plan for disaster risk reduction of the City of Skopje.
Given the fact that this is the first plan of this type, for the approach of disaster risk reduction, according to Shilegov, a major step forward will be the implementation of at least two thirds of the planned measures and he hopes that in the next four years realizes the planned.
- In addition, within the measures and individual activities, the holders and general partner institutions are determined. The definition of the necessary financial resources will be determined on an annual basis, through the budget of the City of Skopje (GS), the budget of the municipalities on the territory of the city (LSGU); the budgets of RSM and other entities, as well as the donor participation, said Shilegov.
He stressed that any constructive thinking regarding this strategic document is of great importance because the transparency in the adoption of documents of this nature undoubtedly leads to raising not only the quality of the same, but indirectly provides raising the quality of life of Skopje, something which for him as a mayor and as a person is of fundamental importance.